Foodbank Services Offered
Emergency assistance for a food parcel.
The Food bank service is free although when you are able, we ask that you give back to the Food bank.
The Taupo Community Food bank service offers
- A listening ear
- Assist with an entitlement to a food parcel
- Guarantee to confidentiality
- Network with other agencies only with your permission
The Taupo Community Food bank receives referrals from
- Self or Family Referrals
- Salvation Army Corps
- Work & Income
- Taupo Budget Advisory Service
- Social Services
- Health Services
- Victim Support
It can help if you can bring the following
- A referral from an agency
- Receipt of payments
- Latest receipt of food purchased
- Current bank balance
- A list of items you require
- You will be interviewed to assess your needs
Weekly/Monthly and Annual Initiatives
- Approaches by Youth services are encouraged when fund raising for spare produce
- Past clients and the public are invited to bake goods, make jams - when required food bank offer ingredients
- Member of the Taupo Civil Defence welfare team
- Bread/Vegetable and Excess Donations are dropped to the Salvation Army Shops for members of the public to access freely
- Emergency bins are filled and distributed to four local schools with breakfast and lunch items
- Volunteers check and replenish bins each school term
- The Taupo Community Food bank distributes Christmas presents to children who may not otherwise receive any gifts. Christmas baskets are also made up for the elderly who may be on their own or have no family in Taupo at Christmas with special treats for them. In December 2011, Taupo Community Food bank coordinator and volunteers sent out 524 gifts, distributed 128 Christmas hampers and dispensed $2000 meat vouchers to families via requests from Taupo Social Services.
Taupo Harcourt’s Real Estate co-ordinate a Food Bank Appeal promoted by the Taupo MediaWorks team with the Taupo Community Food bank Coordinator at the beginning of December each year throughout the Taupo community. Fire, Police and Ambulance have supported with Staff and noisy vehicles every single year. The non-perishable food collected helps maintain the Food Bank during the year. Emergency Services, Service Groups, businesses and individuals volunteer their time to drive a vehicle, pick up donations at the road side and sort goods into storage.
Location and Contact
Please donate food by dropping it off at any of these points;
- Pak n Save
- Waiora House
- Local Churches
Monetary donations are gratefully accepted and receipts can be given for tax purposes.
If you wish to be a regular donor we can arrange an automatic payment. Click here to find out how easy this is to arrange.